Sunday, May 7, 2017

And Comfort Still


Psalm 23 will be read today in many churches, and probably sung as well.  Here at the blog, as I always say, we have not yet run out of hymns derived from those well-loved verses.

You are my Shepherd, you know all my needs,
And I am blest;
By quiet streams, in pastures green, you lead
And make me rest.
My soul you save, and for your own Name’s sake
You guide my feet the paths of right to take.

Though in death’s vale and shadow be my way
I fear no ill,
For you are near, your rod and staff my stay
And comfort still.
My table you have spread before my foes,
My head you will anoint, my cup o’erflows.

The goodness and the mercy that have e'er
Upon me shone
Shall surely follow me through all the way
Till life is done;
And ever my Creator's house shall be
My dwelling place through all eternity.

The Psalter, 1912; alt.
Tune: SANDON (10.4.10.4.10.10)
Charles H. Purday, 1857



Nine (Liturgical) Years Ago: My Shepherd, you supply my need

Eight (Liturgical) Years Ago: Since God is my Shepherd

Seven (Liturgical) Years Ago: Thou art my Shepherd

Six (Liturgical) Years Ago: I shall not want: in deserts wild

Five (Liturgical) Years Ago: Beside the still waters

Four (Liturgical) Years Ago: My Shepherd, you will hold me

Even more paraphrases and adaptations can be found by clicking the "Psalm 23" tag at the very bottom of this post.

No comments: